Feedstock Assessment & Procurement
FOREST THINNING & HAZARDOUS FOREST FUELS REDUCTION
Rancho Guejito Fire Restoration Project
- TSS is working with a major private landowner in the San Diego area to assess the impacts of the 2007 Witch Creek Fire and to identify appropriate conservation management tools to restore the fire damaged landscape to a more fire resilient state.
Dry Forest Fuels Treatment Trials
- TSS was the project manager for a series of four equipment trials conducted in Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Innovative fuels treatment equipment was showcased and monitored for impacts and effectiveness during these weeklong trials.
Hazardous Fuels Reduction Demonstration
- TSS has been retained by Southern California Edison to conduct three fuels treatment demonstrations in central and southern California. Similar to the Dry Forest Fuels Treatment Trials, innovative treatments will be demonstrated and monitored for impacts and effectiveness. Demonstrations are scheduled for fall 2015.
COMMERCIAL FOREST MANAGEMENT
Wood Fiber Supply Availability Analysis for Northern Minnesota
- TSS assessed the resource availability and pricing of timber for forest manufacturing in the northern Minnesota region. TSS reviewed area resource management practices, forest age class distribution, cover, and ownership, to perform market analysis in order to identify wood fiber availability and potential utilization options.
Coquille Indian Tribe
- TSS helped the Coquille Indian Tribe secure a USDA Forest Service grant to support the purchase of roll-off bins with transport truck. The bins were utilized to collect forest biomass generated as a byproduct of commercial forest management operations.
Washington Statewide Assessment
- TSS, in collaboration with the University of Washington, School of Forest Resources, conducted a statewide assessment of Washington’s forest biomass resources. The primary objective was to develop detailed estimates of suitable forest biomass volume available for energy production on a long-term, sustainable basis.
FOOD AND ORGANIC WASTE
Sacramento Municipal Utility District
- TSS provided a high-level inventory of organic waste collection programs in the Sacramento region and designed pilot programs to enhance the short-term collection of food waste in the region.
Western Placer Waste Management Authority
- TSS is working with the WPWMA and its contractor, Capitol Public Finance Group, evaluating several options regarding the separation and utilization of organic and food waste from the processed municipal solid waste in their Materials Recovery Facility. Utilization options include composting onsite, anaerobic digestion (either onsite or offsite), and co-digestion in a nearby wastewater treatment plant.
Ag Feedstock Availability and Cost Assessments
- TSS has provided on-going agricultural feedstock availability assessments and updates for a variety of clients in California and Oregon.
Biomass Feedstock Availability Review
- TSS conducted a biomass fuel availability review focused on agricultural feedstocks for a potential beet to energy project at Mendota, CA.
Biomass Fuel Availability and Procurement Plan
- TSS provided a feedstock procurement plan focused on agricultural and urban wood to assist with risk assessment for an existing 18 MW biomass power plant located at Ione, CA.
PURPOSE-GROWN ENERGY CROPS
Various Dedicated Crop Assessments
- TSS has conducted technical and financial assessments for establishing dedicated woody crops to support energy production.
MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE AND RECYCLING (INCLUDING URBAN WOOD)
- TSS performed a wood resource assessment and procurement plan for a community-scale (3 MW) gasification power facility in the SMUD service territory. Focus was on sourcing clean, cost effective urban wood waste as the primary feedstock.
>Wood Fuel Supply Availability Assessment
- TSS was retained by the Seattle Steam Company to conduct a due diligence grade urban wood waste fuel assessment for the greater Seattle region. Primary feedstocks considered included tree trimmings, land-clearing debris and urban wood waste.
- TSS performed an assessment of sustainably available woody feedstock in the Mammoth Lakes area including clean urban wood, green waste diversion, and forest-sourced biomass for renewable biomass heating.