The Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), the 5th largest public power agency in the United States, has retained TSS for an evaluation and feasibility study, coupled with proposed deployment and demonstration of a small modular biomass conversion system using low moisture biomass fuels such as woody biomass waste. Specifically, TSS is tasked with the following:
- Review pertinent state-of-the-art and opportunities of emerging smallmodular biomass conversion systems using low moisture biomass fuels;
- Assess costs, performance and market characteristics (e.g. supply curves) ofapplicable small modular biomass conversion systems;
- Determine potential sites for demonstration and deployment;
- Evaluate economic feasibility of promising small modular biomass conversion systems;
- Deploy and demonstrate the best candidate technology within the SMUD service territory.
TSS expects to be conducting the demonstration project beginning in the Spring of 2016.