ELECTRIC PROCUREMENT INVESTMENT CHARGE (EPIC) GRANT PROGRAM
- TSS has provided technical assistance to the Grant Farm for the preparation of several EPIC grant applications including greenhouse gas life cycle analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and economic feasibility assessments. With TSS assistance, the Grant Farm has won over $10 million for these projects.
- TSS provided management and technical assistance to West Biofuels for the preparation of an EPIC application for research development and deployment of gasification systems using forest-sourced biomass as a primary feedstock. Client was subsequently awarded $2 million for the project (TSS is a major subcontractor).
- TSS provided management and technical assistance to Co-West for the preparation of an EPIC application for the development of an anaerobic digestion system to utilize on-site food waste. Co-West was subsequently awarded $5 million for the project.
AB 118 ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION FUELS
- TSS has provided technical assistance in the preparation of an AB 118 grant for research and development of technology converting woody biomass to renewable natural gas (also known as biomethane).
- TSS has provided technical assistance in the preparation of an application for AB 118 funding to produce renewable natural gas from biogas derived from anaerobic digestion technology.
CALRECYCLE GREENHOUSE GAS REDUCTION GRANTS
- TSS prepared a CalRecycle grant application for Peninsula Plastics to purchase plastics extruders to create value-added landscaping material from the plastic labels found on recycled plastic bottles. The grant award totaled $1,000,000.
- TSS provided technical assistance to the Grant Farm for preparation of a CalRecycle grant to fund the commercial development of a food waste organics digester system as a partnership between Recology and the East Bay Municipal Utility District. The grant award totaled $3,000,000.
- TSS provided life cycle greenhouse gas benefits calculations to Co-West for their application for the commercial installation of an anaerobic digestion system to use on-site food waste.
USDA FOREST SERVICE GRANT PROGRAMS
North Fork (Woody BUG)
- TSS provided assistance in the preparation and management of a USDA Forest Service Woody Biomass Utilization Grant to support preliminary design and engineering for a proposed 1 MW biomass gasification facility in North Fork, CA. The grant award was $150,000.
CHIPS (Woody BUG)
- TSS provided assistance in the preparation and management of a USDA Forest Service Woody Biomass Utilization Grant to support preliminary design and engineering for a proposed 3 MW biomass gasification facility in Wilseyville, CA. The grant award was $175,000.
Coquille Indian Tribe
- TSS prepared and submitted a USDA Forest Service Woody Biomass Utilization Grant to support design and engineering for a 2 MW gasification facility in North Bend, OR. The grant award was $200,000.
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY AND OTHER FEDERAL GRANTS
- Under a highly competitive National Energy Technology Laboratory solicitation for projects to be funded via ARRA, TSS led the applicant’s team of engineers in the grant application preparation. The projects seeking funding were for various energy efficiency improvements at three of the company paper and pulp mills using new, more efficient equipment. The paper company was awarded $30 million in ARRA grant funds.
Warm Springs Forest Products Industries
- TSS provided Warm Springs Forest Products Industries assistance in securing a federal American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grant to refurbish the WSFPI biomass cogeneration facility. A total of $5 million of ARRA funding was allocated.
Round Valley Indian Tribes (BIA)
- TSS provided technical assistance in the preparation of a Department of Energy grant to study the potential for a community-scale combined heat and power facility utilizing forest-sourced feedstock on the Round Valley Indian Tribes lands. The grant totaled $50,000 for a Phase 1 feasibility analysis.