Senior Environmental Analyst
Email: email@example.com | Phone: (707) 685-5508
Dr. Harris has over 40 years of diverse experience in forestry, environmental assessment and planning and the ecology and management of riparian vegetation and oak woodlands.
Dr. Harris was project manager and/or principal-in-charge for many environmental assessment and planning projects throughout California and in other western states during the period 1977-1982. These included general plans, resource management plans, environmental impact reports and statements and forest management plans. From 1982 to the present, Dr. Harris conducted riparian vegetation assessments for numerous proposed and existing hydroelectric, water supply and flood control projects on streams throughout California. These studies included comprehensive literature reviews, field data collection, quantitative analysis of field data, and publication of many professional reports and several peer-reviewed journal articles. Clients have included EA Engineering, ENTRIX, MWH, Resource Insights and START California. Recent projects have been on the Kern River, Feather River (Oroville Project), Whitewater River, South Fork American River, Orestimba Creek and Truckee River.
Dr. Harris was a Cooperative Extension Forestry Advisor and Statewide Specialist at the University of California, Berkeley for over 20 years. As a University researcher and Extension educator, Dr. Harris participated in interagency committees and programs, conducted applied research (e.g., contract work with Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, Department of Fish and Game, US Environmental Protection Agency, etc.), and conducted educational events for resource professionals and landowners on forest stewardship, rural road management and environmental topics.
Since leaving the University of California Dr. Harris has worked as an independent consultant and associate at TSS Consultants. Some recent consulting assignments have included a nation-wide evaluation of biomass energy feedstock availability, assessment of forest conditions in three Sierra Nevada counties, riparian restoration plan for a regional park, and development of a strategic plan for wetlands restoration in Placer and Yuba Counties. His current projects include serving as a specialist on oak woodland ecology and management for the Placer County Conservation Plan (an HCP and NCCP), author and editor for the 2015 CAL FIRE state-wide assessment of forest and range conditions, researcher and advisor on instream flow management for a water supply project in Southern California and advisor to El Dorado County Resource Conservation District on its program to supply seedlings for reforestation of areas subjected to wildfire. He is also in the fifth year of a contract with Northern California Society of American Foresters designing and implementing professional education and training workshops and webinars.
- Environmental Specialist, TSS Consultants, Rancho Cordova, 2008 to present.
- Cooperative Extension Forestry Specialist, University of California, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management, Berkeley, 1991 to 2009.
- Consulting Environmental Specialist, Start California, Inc., Sacramento, CA, 2004 to 2008.
- Consulting Environmental Specialist, Resource Insights, Inc. and MWH Global, Sacramento, CA, 1996 to 2004.
- Associate Extension Forest Advisor, University of California Cooperative Extension, Humboldt/Del Norte Counties, Eureka, CA, 1988 to 1991.
- Consulting Ecologist. State of Wisconsin Department of Justice, Madison, WI, 1987 to 1988.
- Post Doctoral Research Ecologist, Oregon State University, Department of Forest Science, Corvallis, OR, 1986 to 1987.
- Assistant Professor of Land Use Planning, University of Wisconsin, Department of Plant and Earth Science, River Falls, WI, 1984 to 1986.
- Consulting Ecologist, Jones and Stokes Associates, Sacramento, CA and numerous other clients, 1982 to 1985.
- Lecturer on Environmental Impact Assessment, University of California, Department of Conservation and Resource Studies, Berkeley, 1977-1979; 1983.
- Principal and Manager of Northern California Operations, LSA Associates, Berkeley, CA 1977-1982.
- Environmental Analyst, Marin County Planning Department, San Rafael, CA, 1974-1977.
- University of California, Berkeley; B.S. Forest Resource Management, 1974; M.L.A. Landscape Architecture, 1976; Ph.D. Wildland Resource Science, 1985